Sunday 30 May 2010

Micah P. Hinson

I'm starting (and possibly ending) a new concept for AndygoesdowntoChinatown.

Album of the Week is here. Welcome Album of the Week.





It was a hard decision, but in the end it was between The Black Keys' awesome new soul-tinged blues-rock album 'Brothers' and Micah P. Hinson's new orchestral Americana masterpiece 'And The Pioneer Saboteurs'

The winner of the prestigious title is Micah P. Hinson. I've decided that The Black Keys album was last weeks Album Of The Week winner. But as there was no such title to be had last week, they'll just have to scamper off in defeat.



Hinson could've won just with his album cover, which I think depicts Lady Gaga once she's gone just a teeny bit more off the rails. But no. In fact IT IS the music that does it. Micah P. Hinson has been compared to the legendary Ennio Morricone. Famed for his movie scores, who could forget the classic harmonica theme from Once Upon A Time In The West?



Hinson's arrangements share the same intensity as Morricone's pieces. However there seems to be no urgency here whatsover. The whole album just rolls over you leaving you feeling as though you should definitely give up any plans of what you were supposed to do later and listen to it all again just to see if you missed something hidden in its depths.

I've never been a lyrics man. I'm just the type who like sounds that are put together and sound kind of pretty. So I never actually listen to lyrics in any song. Of course I still appreciate vocals in songs. I might appreciate them more if I wasn't so damn busy concentrating on what's going on in the background.
Micah P. Hinson's lyrics could be genius. I don't rightly know. The sound of his voice however does complement the music incredibly. It does however make everything kind of sound like a downer. Even on the more playful tracks ie. 'My God, My God' he still sounds way depressed.

Album closer 'The Returning' is a near 12-minute beast of distortion and feedback until its crecendo. After which a most wonderful string arrangement kicks in, making you wish your mum had bought you a violin as a kid. Damn you mum.

Videos anyone? Videos?







And of course you can listen to it on Spotify too!

Micah P. Hinson - And The Pioneer Saboteurs

2 comments:

  1. If you're into Morricone, may I humbly suggest as a possible album of some future week, my Spaghetti Western Concept Rap album, called "Showdown at the BK Corral." It's basically a Spaghetti Western over 9 tracks - very influenced by Morricone. I'd love to hear what you think of it! You can download it for free at sunsetparkriders.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Dave! Thy humble suggestion has been duly noted, and I'll get on that as soon as I'm behind my own computer. A Spaghetti Western Concept Rap album definitely sounds worth checking out.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...