Saturday 12 December 2009

best of 2009

yo Yo YO.
Everyone's doing it now so I thought I might as well jump on the bandwagon and do the whole "my favourite albums of 2009" thing.
So here it goes:


5. Raveonettes - In and out of Control
The Raveonettes are Danish and you can definitely heard "scandinavia" in their latest album. Their earlier records have been more Jesus and Mary Chain, whereas now I recognise something more local. Although darker this could maybe be what The Sounds would sound like if they sonically toned it down a bit and were actually any good.






4. Wavves - Wavves
If I was a surferpunk from California this is what I'd want my life to sound like. I absolutely love the almost inaudible vocals, lo-fi fuzzy guitars and simple but banging drums. If I didn't live in Finland I could almost imagine the scorching sun burning me to a crisp like the near-albino I am. But if burning to a crisp sounds this good then bring it on.



3. A Place to Bury Strangers - Exploding Head
So APtBS debut album was my favourite album of last year and beating that with the follow up Exploding Head was going to take something special. I don't find it quite as good as the first one as It's missing stand out tunes like "missing you" and "she dies" but stick this record on full blast like it's supposed to be listened to and... it albeit not literally but in a sense delivers the albums title. (in a good way)

2. Passion Pit - Manners
Passion Pit and me have a wierd love affair. More so with the Chunk of Change EP where Michael Angelakos' vocals were sometimes just awful but still at the same time all the melodies were just ridiculously cute and happy. And that's what I love about them. Listening to this just makes me smile and want to dance. What more could a good record do?


1. The xx - The xx
Probably the most talked/blogged about band in the world after Animal Collective but rightly so! Everything about this album shouts out cool. The intertwining guitars sound so simple but are still captivatingly beautiful. The almost half-heartedly sung vocals of the back and forth female-male parts sound so fresh standing alone, but when the chopped beats are added I feel that's when it really starts to sound like now. Best album of 2009!

0 hot love confessions:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...